Monday, 3 November 2014

Origins Evaluation

During my 6 weeks studying Origins, I have produced a collection of work from Friday Drawing Day, Embroidery and Construct. I firstly focused on my 10 chosen objects from home and produced a body of drawings from them; I then used these drawings to feed my project by producing samples based on the objects. I have completed samples in each of the relevant areas.

I favoured machine stitch whilst being in embroidery, l felt as though at times hand stitch was very time consuming and the overall result wasn’t as great. Towards the last week studying embroidery l focused particularly on one chosen object which was a decorative wooden box that was bought for me as a present by my friend whilst she was travelling in Australia. This has been a significant object in my project throughout due to the patterns and colours within it. It ties in well with the library exhibition that l visited and enjoyed – Material Matters, It also ties in with our Monday lecture with Alison which is also looking at materials and objects. I think because the object is precious to me l really focused on it more and l produced better work because of the sentimental reason behind it. I did produce some work in my sketchbook on the exhibition and selected out some images that interested me.

After our first three weeks rotation from embroidery, we started in construct. I was slightly disappointed that in construct we were only allowed to do either knit or weave and that we didn’t get the choice of which, but I did understand that it was just not possible in the time scale we had. However I was very pleased that I was timetabled onto weave and that I had the opportunity to learn how to do it. Weave is something I’ve never done before but always wanted to have a go at, l really enjoyed it and it has enabled me to develop new ideas. I learnt how to weave on an 8 shaft loom exploring with different weave sequences. I made certain that I used a particular colour pallet that was relevant to my objects, which fed my practical work well, yarn wrappings also helped these developments.

I do believe there is a clear connection between my drawings and sample pieces, for example the 20 timed and descriptive sentences drawings, that l did onto squares really influenced my weave samples. In my weave samples you can see where I tried to recreate the patterns, curves and loops.

I tested and explored with a wide range of materials, media and techniques. I used lots of different yarns, cottons, threads, fabrics, paints, pencils, oil bars, inks, pens and papers. I think Friday drawing day was very important as primary research as that was the starting point for all of my sample work. I chose to also look at Margo Selby and have selected some images of his work for my sketch book,  I think it links in with my style of work because of the patterns.

 
If I was to look back and think critically I would have liked to have used a more neutral colour pallet. This is because my drawings were quite neutral and I like the simplicity of it. Sometimes it got too fussy because there were too many colours. If I were to push my work and develop it further I would have maybe used techniques in both embroidery and weaving together. I would have also liked to have produced a few more strong drawings to feed my sample work because l felt like l lacked in this area.
 

Overall I have found the origins unit a real learning curve and very enjoyable, because I have learnt so many new techniques that I didn’t know about before. 


No comments: