Monday, 16 February 2015

PE Task 2

Firstly, I'm not choosing to reference any artists that I looked at throughout 3D as it was a particularly difficult unit for me and I didn't enjoy it very much. I know for me it's not something that I'm going to pop back into so I don't think it's relevant.
 
Whilst in London I visited Wallace and Sewell, I absolutely loved their work and all the colour and texture within it. It was great to see there fabric right in front of me. It was also particularly helpful to see the context of their work and what audience they aim it at. It was interesting to see who was in their shop browsing. This all influenced the direction for my own work. I used an image I had taken whilst in their shop, to produce my colour palette for the print rotation. This helped me go on to produce bright and vibrant sample work. I can see my drawing work that I produced in print and my digital print as stationery, or wallpaper in the home. It could even be developed into furnishing for the home, as a couch for example, like the one l seen whilst in Timorous Beasties and also Wallace and Sewell.




Whilst being back in construct I've focused mainly on landscapes and materials, I've looked at a textile artist called Josie Russell. For me she is really inspiring because she uses lots of found materials out of charity shops, she's very economical and my project is partly thinking about materials used. I think it's great that she works in this way, she keeps her environmental impact to a minimum whilst creating her work of North Wales. I feel like In some ways there is a connection between our work because she focuses on beautiful surroundings like the countryside, and that's what I have tried to focus my work on. She has picked up on all the different marks because of the patterns and textures in materials that she's used, I think that's really clever and it's exactly what I've been trying to do but with yarns. The bronze and brown tones she's used reference my photograph that I've taken, as well as my yarn wrappings and weave samples.
 


 

Another artist I’ve looked at and found to be relevant is Patty Hawkins. I like the composition of her work and the way she uses shapes to form a piece of textiles. I have used many trees, branches and twigs as visual research in my body of work, and when I've looked at her work I can see a clear connection between the two. We both use lots of mark making and notice all the lines and shapes. Just looking at her work next to my weaving you can already see how it relates by the colours and textured lines. She uses many bright colours that aren't necessarily true to a real landscape, I have done some of this way of working too. I suppose I have in my head a colour palette of what I expect summer to be which would be yellows, oranges, turquoises, pinks etc. I think when you think of summer you think of holidays, lovely weather and bright colours. However, this isn't always true and colours aren't as bright as you first thought when presented with a photograph for example. This is the reason why I've slightly changed the direction of my work and have opted for a more neutral colour palette incorporating shades of browns and more muddy tones.

I can definitely see my weaves as scarves, blankets or huge throws. Maybe even a rug if the yarns were durable and substantial. I also like the idea of making little purses or bags and embroidering in to my weaves in some way to add more detail. I think the artists that I've chose to look at are all very colourful and quite fussy which is definitely how I like to produce my work.
 



No comments: